Friday, May 18, 2012

With a Cherry on Top! (Gift Card Holder)


Hello, there, crafty friends! I am here today with a new project for our Stuck on U Sketches Die Cut challenge. This week's challenge is "Fruit." Well, I had a bit of a stew trying to come up with a project that suited me ... until I thought of this one. I'm wishing it were prettier but now that I have the hang of it, I think my next one will turn out much better. 

I got this idea originally from Tresa Black, The Stamp Goddess. If you click on the link, it will take you to her YouTube video. (Don't go just yet!) But anyhow, I've had my Styrofoam ball for about a year now just waiting for an opportunity to make one of these gift card holders. As I said, practice makes perfect and I'm sure my next one will be dabomb! 


Since Tresa's video covers all the basics, I'll just tell you a little about my project. Since I needed to make a Die Cut, I decided to use CCR and my Imagine to cut my wrapper instead of simply cutting a rectangle with my paper cutter. 


Here is a screen shot of my cuts made with Plantin Schoolbook. I've welded a scallop to my rectangle although I knew it wouldn't show too much once I did my accordion folds but I was challenging myself to do the challenge! LOL I also cut my circle shape for the inner "cup."  Then I started layering ribbon, flowers and paper strips for the cake, icing, chocolate and whipped cream. 



Here I've raised up my sample gift card (one that never got used, lol) so that you can see how the gift card slides up and out for the recipient. The cherry is a wooden bead that has been painted, glittered and glued to a project clip.  


Then I just started decorating and added gems, brads, glossy acents and diamond dust for shimmer. I had a little leaf already cut using my Sizzix, so I added it to my cherry. 
And there you have my humble little project. Now that I'm primed and can really see how it all goes together, I am ready to make  a few more this Saturday! 

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have a great weekend!

 Be sure and join us for the Fruit Die Cut challenge! You will have 2 weeks to upload your New as of today Die Cut project. Happy Scrapping! 




8 comments:

  1. Hey girl!
    So I hope you are not hyperventilating anymore! LOL!
    But I have a few this afternoon to put my feet up and thought
    I would do some visiting!
    I think this is the coolest project and have never seen anything
    like it! So I"m glad you shared the link!

    Hope you and Dan have a great weekend! kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi, I think this is so super creative, by first look you would never have guessed that it was a gift card holder... I think you did a fantastic job on it!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is so darn cute. And so creative. I love everything about it. Over the top my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took one look at this little cup cake project Sandi and went 'WOW o WOW' !!!! absolutely awesome!!! I just love it.. hugz X:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW Sandi loved the tute .. will be playing really soon !!! hugz X:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome Sandi!! Very creative!! I don't know if I would be more excited to get the gift card or the packaging. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cupcake cardholders are adorable and I'm so glad you gave one a go, it looks amazing.. love that you shared the tute..
    Hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete