Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Scrap That! January Kit Creation details

"A New Season"
Main Kit only

I had loads of fun with this kit, starting with this project first of all.  I knew I wanted to use the wooden slat background even though it is a bit stereo-typical by now and I wanted to leave the left corner pattern just as it comes. Sometimes I am hard-headed like that even though I usually try to think outside the box. Next, I distressed the paper and used my Martha Stewart punch randomly. Then I concentrated on the center! I started with some molding paste and my Prima brick mask although in the end I mostly covered it. Isn't that how it always goes?!!  While that was drying I applied Gesso to my torn corrugated cardboard that comes in the kit and used that as a frame behind my photo. While both of those were drying, I did some photo editing with my Florabella actions to make this photo of my granddaughter a bit more "edgy." Then I mounted it on a couple of the BoBunny papers and snagged a doily from my stash. I've used foam dots to adhere it.

I wanted to create a unique flower using some die cut snowflakes and I'll be doing a quick tutorial on that later this month. Isn't that blue yarn ribbon gorgeous?! I just had to use it on this brown as it is so striking against the brown. I finished that cluster with a Sizzix branch die and a Cheery Lynn butterfly die. For balance, I've added the Zva jewels in the right hand corner.

Here's a close-up of the floral grouping.


Main kit, EAO, FAO, stash 
Based on Amarylis' sketch

This wintery layout was inspired by Amarylis' sketch although I did venture off from it a wee bit, flipping it and getting quite carefree with my design! I've used lots of layers, paints and a couple of things from my own stash .. the resin Prima fairies, doilies and some gauze tucked along the edges.

I loved the flowers that came in the FAO and focused on using them on this page. Again I've done some random punching and paint splattering.  I took the Prima Soprano flowers and manipulated them into a bit of a turned back shape, then dabbed them with white Gesso. I also took apart the Prima vine and used it in 2 places. I've added some of the Powder Mountain buttons to my clusters although they are a bit hard to spot but here are a couple of close-ups.

 As I mentioned during the Reveal, my title letters were cut from the Cricut Provocraft Happy Hauntings cartridge which is a Halloween cart.  I bought it solely for the alphas as we don't do much Halloween here. I thought they added a real frosty look to the page. My photos are of a "freak" snowstorm in 2010 when we got over 10 inches of snow. Very rare for this part of Texas.


"Snow Angel" 12x12 canvas
Main kit, EAO and stash
Scrap lift of Gabrielle Pollacco's mixed media canvas and template found HERE

Last but not least  ... This project is my pride and joy of the month! I've been wanting to create another canvas and decided this was the perfect time to try my hand at using Gabi's template of a lady in motion.  I wanted to create my own dress template but with the holidays I ran out of time! Next time, I will! What a great use of the gorgoeus BB papers for the dress, hair and headband as well as the "hill" on the left. I've been holding on to this set of feather wings for some time now and thought they'd be perfect for my Snow Angel.

 I've added molding paste using my Crafter's Workshop Tile Texture Stencil, glimmer mist in Sapphire, Plum Fairy and Patina, Dusty Attic (grass) and of course the gorgeous BoBunny Powder Mountain papers. (Butterflies by Lisa Gregory.) For the media work I've used jar lids coated in blue GM and bubble wrap from my recent move. Lastly, I added in the BoBunny jewels for her necklace and bracelet ... and the yummy Bella organza brads for the flower in her hair and the ruffle on her hips. A bit of color on her cheeks and she was done! 

Again, I used the Happy Hauntings cartidge for my title and some random snowflakes from my stash.  Note that I used a partial one for her crown. I've added Diamond Dust to my alphas and here and there on the canvas. Below is a close-up of those gorgeous brads which I took apart and simply glued in place. You can also see a bit of the background texture and the Dusty Attic piece covered in Gesso and edged with silver Colorbox chalk. 

That's all from me for today! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Thanks for coming by! 


  1. Wowwwwwwwwwww! These are all absolutely GORGEOUS!!! WOW!! Happy New Year!!

  2. Congrats on making the Quick Quotes team! You are going to love it! Can't wait to get to know you better.