Friday, January 7, 2011

We come like trees ... we all have roots! Family Tradition! ~SOUS 1-07-11



Hey, it's Friday and time for a new weekend ... and a new Stuck on U Sketches  reveal!  If you are new to our challenge blog, we welcome you. If you are a veteran, we are so grateful for you!

Boy, did I have fun with this one! At first, it was hard to get back into the rythmn of scrapping.  I wanted to badly enough ... but I felt a bit like I was starting all over again.  As much as I loved those Christmas holidays, they threw me off kilter a bit.  LOL

Anyway, since the sketch called for one photo, I chose one from last Thanksgiving of my little granddaughter Marianne putting her handprint  on our Family Tree canvas. This was an old piece of artwork with large sunflowers on it, remember those days?  When I started having grandkids, I decided to paint the canvas white and put the family's handprints on there, starting with my hubby and I, then our kids and grandkids ... even a few foreign exchange students. At the time I only had 2 grandchildren but that has grown over the years to 14 and counting.

It has become an awesome family experience to watch as new handprints go up on the canvas.  Last Thanksgiving, my heart just burst with joy (and the tears flowed) as I looked up one side of the hallway and down the other side ... and saw every single member of the family craning their necks to watch!  Isn't that the great thing about family? Everyone wanting to cheer for one another.

So, there is lots of Cricut action on this page. I made a pact with one of my teamies to start using our Cricut cartridges more. For this page, I ended up using 8 without really trying. Okay, here our a few close-ups.



I used my new MS punch all around the page. My papers are a mix of MME Fall in Love Glitter stack, Bo Bunny Noel and and Creative Memories cardstock.  Love that I took time to emboss my cloud which was cut from Everyday Paper Dolls. The tree is from Stretch Your Imagination and the birds are from Straight from the Nest. That cute little sun is from Just Because Cards.  My title was cut from Heritage (Family) and Reminisce Accents (Tradition.)  There is lots of inking all around and use of adhesive foam squares to lift things off the page.  In place of dots for my "i"s," I used flat backed pearls.



Love the grass on that Zooballoo cart, don't you? It was cut multiple times and layered.
The last thing I did on my page was to wrap my tree with some ribbon from my stash and thought it was the perfect finishing touch!



My pearl backed butterfly is, of course, from Indie Art.  I always keep going back to that one.  Here you can see one of my K and Company frames with the saying which I computer-generated. " We come like trees .. we all have roots."  I have that motto on my albums about my own grandparents.

I can't close without throwing in a few photos of 3 other kiddos that got to put their hand on the tree this year ... Peyton  (who is the subject of many of my pages) and the 2 new boys from Ethiopia, Isaac and Jeremiah.  That part was kind of impromptu, so everyone used the pinkish paint I had hurriedly grabbed for Peyton.


Peyton, assisted by her mommy, Brendi


Isaac with the help of his sister MacKenzie


Jeremiah and me

Sorry for the long post today!  Sure hope you find time to play along with the sketch this time! Remember you have 2 weeks to upload you project! If you haven't already seen what the other designers have done, I hope you will pay them a visit.

Thanks for coming. I always love reading your sweet comments!


20 comments:

  1. Sandie your layout is so beautiful!! What a pretty combination of papers and the photos are so sweet...what a lovely tradition!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Awesome tradition! What a great thing to look at over the years. Love your LO!! It has so many pretty things to look at. Congrats on using your Cricut carts more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandie, your page is fabulous and all the pictures are very pretty and meaningful. It's great to be doing challenges again! Have a blessed and wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi, this is beautiful!! What a unique and wonderful family tradition, something that will be shared for years and years!! I love the MS punched border and all of the die cuts you've used!! The ribbon around the tree is fabulous!!! Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!! Stay warm!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!
    This was just wonderful! And you rocked out that Cricut GF! LOL!
    I am really think this turned out just great...
    my favorite part is how awesome the grass looks cut with that printed paper...looks so extra dimensional! =)
    You really have a wonderful family and this is one of the neatest traditions I have EVER heard of....amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my word.. What a fantastic layout Sandi and I love that hand print on canvas.. what a true treasure!! You are one lucky lady to be surrounded by so much love...
    Hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the layout Sandi, and that canvas sounds absolutely lovely. What a wonderful idea and great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy, I love your beautiful layout and all the wonderful pictures!!!

    And, you're right, I too need to dig out all my carts I haven't used and start using them!

    Hugs!

    P.S. If you don't know it, I have blog candy -- come on over and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you using my Cricut more. Fantastic work!! That page is totally cricutly fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is seriously the greatest family tradition! I love it! I did something similar with my students and parents when I was teaching but never thought to do one for the family! And your LO is stunning! You rocked your cricut challenge! love the tree and the sweet little cloud floating across the LO!
    barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great family tradition. Your layout is awesome and I like that you did your tree with butterflies all over it. Funny, but I have been thinking about the non-use of my Cricut also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandi .. everything is awesome from the family tradition to the tree and from the butterfly to the cloud ... thankyou for sharing with us .. luv X:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a Pretty layout I really Love the tree and the embossed cloud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great layout Sandi, love that you have gotten so many Cricut cuts onto it - the MS punch is way cool, love that you embossed the cloud.....

    Totally love your handprint canvas. What a treasure to have them all together - treasured memories - forever....

    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful tradition Sandi! You totally rocked with your Cricut on this one! Just love the tree and grass in the center! Great layout Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMGOSH this one had me crying....you know me love it when that happens!! Sooo awesome Sandi!!!
    love the MS punch and the tree is sooo cute!!!!
    hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the handprints on canvas and love your layout! I too am glad the time consuming part of the holiday is over. I have missed scrapping and blogging--feels like forever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What an amazing family tradition! I love it! Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandi this is wonderful!! What a sweet idea! 14! WOW!! I have one and another on the way due is August. My oldest son Jr. who will be 24 Sat. is expecting his second baby! Love the lo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful tradition! Love love love the layout!

    ReplyDelete