Friday, March 1, 2013

Stuck on U Sketches//Whimsical Designs Blog Hop

Hello, hoppers! I am so excited to be the first link from Stuck on U Sketches for the wonderful weekend hop we are holding in conjunction with Whimsical Designs! Should be loads of fun! We'll be hopping through midnight March 3rd, so there's plenty of time to take it all in! 

This is also my challenge post for the Quick Quotes Blog. So, hang on to your hat!

Today I'm sharing a project created with the awesome new Stowaway Collection (available 3/20)  from Quick Quotes. You are sure to love these papers, die cuts and stickers! The blues and browns of this range are so versatile and lend themselves to many themes, not just travel. 

 I decided to do a "boy" page because I had this great new photo of one of the grandsons printed and ready to be scrapped.  "Boy/guy" pages are hard for me, so this was a chance to stretch myself. 


I've used the sketch I created for Stuck on U Sketches and I hope that you'll have a chance to use it too! Sketches really take the guess work out of designing once you get comfortable with them. 

Here's a copy of that sketch:



I decided to go with lots of banner strips as layers, distressing of all my edges and some misting using my Prima Gears and Dylusions ink spray. And in lieu of my usual mass of flowers, I made a rosette and adorned it with a single flower atop a simple bow. Then I tucked some random cheesecloth here and there.

My vellum quote is from the Itty Bitty Box (Babies, Kids, Family) and is mounted with offset brads on a small piece of the brown paper with tiny polka dots .. love that paper! Above it I've used some random embellishments from my stash. Lastly, I added my title (from the Stowaway chipboard Die Cuts) at the bottom using some foam squares for dimension.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with my page even though it's a bit outside my "design box." I definitely can't wait to dig into these yummy papers and create something else!

I wanted to also take this opportunity to tell you that I am hosting the Quick Quotes Friday Challenge this month and the Challenge is to make a Rosette and use it on a LO, card, ATC or altered project. More details are over on the Quick Quotes Blog

Items used:
Stowaway collection, 12x12 papers, Die Cut Chipboard

Misc:
Dylusions Ink Spray, Melted Chocolate
Prima Mask, Gears
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares
Petaloo Darjeling Dahlia
Misc twine
Distrezz-it-all
Kaisercraft Peals, chocolate
ATG
Glossy Accents
-------
And just so you know, we have two sponsors for this weekend's hop:
1. Patsy-Prairie Bird Boutique: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrairieBirdBoutique
Winner will recieve their choice of 1 pack of Shabby Crinkle Ribbon
2. Sonia Kertznus: http://www.shopskdigis.com
Winner will reieve a $6.00 Voucher to Sonias store
Thanks, ladies!
Alrighty! Now it's time for you to hop on over to Leah's Blog!  
Thanks for coming by!

38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Sandi. I love how incorporated the mixed media. Amazing colors and detail. Thanks for the great sketch too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sandy! What a handsome young nan in the picture and a beautiful page!

    Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic boy page Sandi... what a handsome young man your DGS is !! .. love the colours you've used, great sketch as well .. best wishes for a great weekend my friend .. hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layout Sandi! I just love all the embellies and the picture of your cute grandson. Beautiful colors and love all the layers. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you dd with the sketch! Great boy page!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow I love this, what a great layout, perfect for a boy page. The colours are awesome. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job with the masculine layout, Sandi! Love the tattered edges and colors. Oh, and great sketch, too! I struggle with layouts and the sketch made the entire process so much easier for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Sandi!!!!! This is the gorgeous kind of layout that I just can't seem to pull off!!!! Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You "stretched" yourself well, this LO came out great!! I like it a lot because it doesn't overpower the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving it Sandi ... such an awesome page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome shabbiness!! LOVE the flower!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with the background! And the passport and elements tucked inside the journal spot are so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing LO Sandi!! The masked background is spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome layout!! I too love the masking in the background.

    Tereese (Friday)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean when it comes to creating masculine pages.. They are always a challenge for me as well, but yours is amazing.. I too love mixed media you added and great embellishment choices..
    Hugs
    Nanné

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow...this is beautiful Sandi!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome page, luv your masking and layers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well Sandi I gotta say you rocked it!! Male layouts for me too are intimidating and I don't think I could even come close to how well you rocked this male layout! perfect picture too!!
    Thanks for sharing
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so sweet. I love those embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did an amazing job with this layout, adding so many details even a flower without making it look girly. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. you rocked the boy page too......amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super sketch and super lovely layout Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous Page!! I Love hoe you have created the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful layout Sandi!! Such a great picture too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi sandi....i like your layout. great take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hiya Sandi!
    What a GREAT page!
    And what a darling boy...again, can I say that someday I hope that my family
    is just like yours! =)
    Makes me feel connected to you and your family with the whole adoption thing...
    But moving along, LOL, I love this and LOVE you did a boy page! Me too! Funny!
    Well done friend!

    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! I love your color combo! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow.....awesome layout Sandy , love all the misting...wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. sandi thanks for the awesome sketch to play with:) youre layout is just gorgeous! i am loving the colors and the design with the sprays you used. thank you for the sweet words on my blog you know ive always been a HUGE fan of yours too :) hope youre having a fun weekend! :) hugs, shelly

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a fabulous boy/guy lo!! Wow! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...love all the layers - that gear mask...very cool...need it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. As usual your layout is a knockout!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is gorgeous. And thank you so much for the sketch. I loved it.
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fantastic guy page! You do them wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Sandi.. amazing layout!!!! Love, love, love the background!! Great job misting/masking!! Such a handsome young man!!!

    Been busy these last few days tearing down the old barn that just about blew down!! Now just need to haul it off to the scrap metal place in Seguin!!

    Hope you have a wonderful week!!!! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome boy page..love it..Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love those papers you have used and the rosette looks wonderful wiht the twine and flower topped.

    ReplyDelete