Wednesday, September 26, 2018

How Strong You Are ~ Creative Embellishments with Sandi Clarkson

Hello,  scrappy friends! 
Time to share another Design Team project for my much loved Creative Embellishments

Since Fall is finally headed this way in my part of the world, I find myself really gravitating to the warmer color schemes ... which are kind of my faves anyway! And with that sometimes comes a little Steampunk vibe. 



I had recently been inspired by a black and white photo I saw on Instagram of a strong lion accompanied by a Bob Marley mantra. Funny how little things can inspire us as crafters. 

From that, I got the notion to create a Lion of my very own by using the Steampunk Cat and 2 or 3 packages of Feathers, set of 5. For a base I've used one of the large 10 inch tags from the Large Tags, set of 3. Now mind you, I had to order some of these pieces ahead of time and wait for them to arrive ... so I've been sitting on this idea for awhile. 

Here is that inspiration photo:


Anyway, I got busy on my background of my large tag and used some crackle paste which I allowed to dry overnight. Then I used the Ivy Stencil and pushed some Shimmerz Patina Texture through it, After that dried, I set about adding about 14 colors of Shimmerz products that had recently arrived. 


The next step was treating my chipboard with walnut ink and beginning the assembling of the lion's "mane" by adding feathers around the face of the cat. After a while, I decided this was the craziest notion that I have ever had ... and almost trashed this poor little guy numerous times.

But I  just kept pushing though and am so glad that I did. I adore him now!



Here's a close-up of the "mane" which I just added around the face of the Steampunk Cat and stacked as needed for dimension. When looking for a ribbon for the top of my tag, I found this cool eyelash trim from years ago and snagged it to add more texture to the mane.
Of course, then  I started adding some highlights and lowlights with acrylic paints, gesso and walnut ink. There is a bit of Cinammon Stickles here and there.



And a view from the side.
Isn't he grand?


And here is a quick pic that I took outdoors. 

I hope this will inspire you to think outside the box and get creative! It can be so rewarding.

Thanks to all of you who were able to participate in our 5th birthday Crop! So fun!

There are still a few days to play along with our September challenge and hopefully win a $50 voucher to the Creative Embellishments store! Here is a link to the Challenge.

See you soon!
Sandi
Creative Embellishments products used:
Chipboard:
Stencil:

4 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS! LOVING the colors!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! This is truly amazing! Never seen anything else done like it!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No words....this is sooooooo amazing!! Your texture on the background, the color and your cat/lion !! wonderful ART!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete