Wednesday, June 15, 2022

"1776" ~ Patriotic Canvas for Creative Embellishments

Hello, creative friends!

Well, I did a thing. 

I created some patriotic art!

Patriotic pieces are not something I gravitate towards ... probably because of the deep feelings of loss that I have experienced. But I overcame them to create a small little work of art.

So yesterday I created on this slim little 3x9 inch canvas from a big box store and am so pleased with how it turned out. It's not exactly what I had in mind but very close! 

I've used a combination of our CE stencils, chipboard, flair buttons and acrylic pieces to create this awesome home decor type canvas.



I referred to an earlier work of mine in 2018 to get the exact colors that I wanted to create with: Shimmerz Scarlet's Fever and Mama Sings the Blues. Worked out great! The white is craft paint tinted with Tim Holtz Antique Linen. 

Before applying my colors, I gave the canvas some texture with 13 Arts modeling paste and the CE Star Bokeh Stencil. The texture got mostly covered up but hey, that's okay. I know it's there! 

Then I moved on to applying the color to my canvas and painting my large Distressed Chevron Border. which help represent the stripes of the American Flag. While I had the flag in mind as inspiration, I didn't hold fast and true to our flag's design. But I wanted that "look."



After adhering the Distressed Chevron Border, I stained the 4thof July ATC coin with walnut stain and some Shimmerz Rollin' in the Hay. Then I covered an Artist Trading Coin with some old paper from DCWV and later placed the Bell piece on the Coin. 



I had ordered some of the Watercolor 4th of July Flair recently and this was my opportunity and motivation to get going on the little art piece. Here you can also see one of the acrylic Mirror Acrylic Gears Gold gears. I should have dug around for my acrylic stars but the gears were on my desk and I thought they added whimsy to the design instead of the expected.



Just a quick snapshot of the chevron border which goes on for miles, ha! 
Actually only 10 inches. 



The 4th of July ATC coins set is a set of 4 designs and I opted to utilize the Liberty Bell with the 1776 cutout along with the stars. You can also visualize a bit of how I distressed my canvas with sandpaper as well as with white paint and blue mist. 



And the star of the show (maybe) ... the Watercolor 4th of July Flair button. I have asked for more watercolor designs, so we shall wait and see on that. And I love these florals from 49 and Market. 



My gold microspheres from 13 Arts had to make an appearance. I decided they would look better than art stones. 



Of course, the Bell needed a little loose string at the top. 
After that, I finished with paint splatters. 

I hope you feel inspired to create something patriotic regardless of where you reside. 
It can be great therapy when you need it most. 

Thanks for coming by the blog today! 

Sandi

Creative Embellishments products used: 
                                                                                Stencil:
Chipboard:
Flair:
Acrylic:



1 comment: