Monday, March 22, 2021

Sweet Altered Birdhouse ~ Creative Embellishments

                                                Hello Creative Embellishments fans! 

Sandi here with you today sharing an altered MDF birdhouse that I had in my stash and had never assembled. I believe it was made by KaiserCraft and part of a Scraps of Elegance kit. 



First I assembled the pieces of the birdhouse and glued them together. Before adhering the front of the house, I painted the inside using white craft paint. Next I added the roof deck and then started layering the Hexagon Shingles. The shingles come in a 12 inch length, so I cut that in half to give me 2 sections. (There are 10 shingle lengths in a package.) I glued and painted almost simultaneously as I added the shingles. 



I do wish that I had added my texturing before I assembled my pieces because it was a little tricky adding the brick design afterwards.  I've used the awesome Crackled Brick Stencil along with super heavy gesso to create the brick effect.  After that was dry, I added color using my 13 Arts water inks. I had planned to use blue but then decided to that might look too wintry for a March project. 

For inks, I did a mix of Bordeaux and Violet. I painted it on and then misted it wth water to make it run. Also, I splattered some of the ink all over the house except for the roof. Later I splattered with watered down white paint. 


I rummaged through my Creative Embellishments stash until I found a small frame that I could paint and use around the opening in the front. I thought that finished it off nicely.  It is the Small Intricate Frames 2 set. 



Then for textures I've added the purple moss over cheesecloth along with a few florals and pinecones. This project actually took quite a few hours before it was all said and done, since I had the assembly to do as well. But I will never look at it without remembering the Texas Snowmaggedon of 2021 and our 56 hours without power during frigid temperatures. That is really why I didn't go with Blue. Thank goodness we have a daughter who lives nearby and who had heat! 

Please enjoy all these close-up photos: 








And that's about it! 


Thanks for visiting the Blog today! 

See you next time. 


Sandi


Creative Embellishments products used: 

Chipboard:

Hexagon Shingles

Small Intricate Frames 2

Stencil:

Crackled Brick Stencil



2 comments:

  1. Oh this is absolutely lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet!!! I love it!! Creative minds think alike. 1 I did not alter a birdhouse for my next project, but created a mini album birdhouse! Must be spring fever coming upon us!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete