Monday, February 14, 2022

Altered Globe for 13 Arts ~ Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day to all my friends across the globe! 

Today I'm sharing my Design Team inspiration for 13 Arts using a cheap globe from a big box store and yummy Rice Paper from 13 Arts Back in Time collection. 


I first used a light wash of 13 Arts white gesso to cover the globe because it was black. I was a little afraid the black print would fade away on a darker surface. 

Then I slowly began adding my strips of Rice Powder with 13 Arts Gel Medium. 

Next, I began creating a swath of vintage Rust Effects for my florals using our Rusty Bronze Powder along with the Reagent to activate. I also rusted the base of the globe. It was quite the mess but I was determined to get it done and done as well as possible for a beginner orb alterer. 

Then I dry brushed some areas with our older Care Au Lait paint. I like how that color looks with all the metals adornments. Most of these are from 13 Arts although the locks and chains are Tim Holtz. 


I slowly and carefully began adding my florals and metal pieces using 13 Arts mutilpurpose gel medium. It did a great job of holding everything although I did have to be patient with a few items. 

I suspected my large Winged piece would really slide but it actually held better than the timepieces. 

I forgot to mention that I also used a base of cheesecloth along the line of the Rust that was altered with Amber Yellow Chalk Mist. 



Because I wanted even more texture, I added in lots of the little bits from the 49 and Market florals, all the curlicues and buds. 

Things such as the bees were added toward the last to fill in as needed. Everything was adhered with the multipurpose gel medium. 



To help with the large metal winged piece, I added a piece of cardboard underneath so that that would be the piece that was actually glued to the curved surface, Worked great! 



Here you can see some of the Rust Effect at the top of the globe. 
Towards the completion of the project, I added some Back in Time Ephemera as well as brown/bronze microspheres. 



There is my cute little bee up above the print of the Rice Paper. 
I used another one on one of the clock faces. 



I wanted my cheesecloth to drape down to the base of the globe for decorative effect but it also became helpful to stabilize the globe after it got kind of top heavy with embellishments. 

One other thing I did was paint a large cabochon and secured it under the actual orb and the curved part of the piece above the base. It kept the globe from turning every which a way. 




And awwww ... Rust! 
Love it! 



Here are many of the items used in my project although some items must be out of stock now. And I did forget to add an image of the white gesso. 

That's it for today! 

This was fun and something different! 
Much love from me to my friends in the Scrappy community! 

See you next time,
Sandi



No comments:

Post a Comment